Tacos taco tacos!!!!!! Cajun SHRIMP tacos to be exact!
I’ve been all about the shrimp lately. I think I’ve bought it every week for the past two months. It’s just so fresh and light and GOOD. I also love how quickly shrimp cooks, which is perfect for weeknight dinners! THESE bad boys are weeknight tacos because they only take 30 minutes total! I can get down with that. You down?!
These cajun shrimp tacos may be fast but they don’t skimp on flavor. The shrimp are coated in so many fabulous spices like: creole seasoning, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and dried thyme. Sounds good right?! Then we top these delicious shrimp with creamy, tangy, and crunchy mango avocado slaw. Creamy and crunchy at the same time? YUP. Avocado for creaminess and cabbage for crunchiness. The tangy flavor comes from the mango and lime juice, then we also get a slight smokiness from some Hungarian smoked paprika. Ready to make some tacos on this fabulous Friday?! Good because I deem this fiesta Friday! And fiesta Fridays MUST include tacos. Duh.
Specialty diets: dairy free, egg free, gluten free (with corn tortillas)
30 minute meal - perfect for weeknight dinners!!
- 1 pound shrimp (peeled, deveined, tail off, and thawed)
- 2 teaspoons creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Hungarian smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- corn tortillas
- 1 cup shredded red (purple) cabbage
- 1 mango, halved then sliced thinly
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- juice of one lime
- 1/2 teaspoon Hungarian smoked paprika
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup coconut yogurt (any plain yogurt will do)
- 6-8 dashes tabasco sauce
- Prep the shrimp: In a medium bowl, combine shrimp, creole seasoning, paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, dried thyme, and one tablespoon olive oil. Stir to completely coat the shrimp. Place in fridge while you make the slaw and tabasco yogurt sauce.
- Make your slaw: In a medium bowl, combine cabbage, mango, avocado, cilantro, lime juice and paprika. Stir to combine then season with sea salt and pepper (to taste).
- Make the tabasco yogurt sauce: Combine yogurt and tabasco in a small bowl then whisk to combine.
- Cook the shrimp: Heat remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shrimp in a single layer then cook 2 minutes, flip shrimp over then cook another 2-3 minutes or until completely pink and curled.
- Assemble tacos: Divide shrimp between tortillas, top with slaw then a drizzle of tabasco yogurt sauce!
- Extra: I like to set my oven to broil and heat my tortillas for a couple minutes before assembling tacos.
Recipe inspired by Half Baked Harvest
Now today is a WARM fiesta Friday. Obviously, I’m totally writing this on Thursday night, which means I actually don’t feel the warm weather yet but the weather channel says the high tomorrow is 68 DEGREES OMG YES. Maybe I’ll wear shorts?! Jk.
But maybe. Call me?
Okay one off topic question… how do y’all feel about this whole off the shoulder trend?? I HATE IT. My shoulders do NOT look good in off the shoulder dresses or tops and they are EVERYWHERE. I’m so frustrated because I’ll find a super cute dress then pick it up and… OFF THE SHOULDER. Whyyyyyyyy? Please go away soon trend.