This quick bread tastes like a chocolate orange and I LOVE IT. I also think you’ll love it too! Hence the reason why I’m posting about it lol.
I know that chocolate oranges are totally a holiday thing but I think they should be a year round thing. Or at least this quick bread should be because why should the holidays get all the chocolate orange fun?!
Answer: they shouldn’t.
This dark chocolate orange quick bread tastes like an indulgent dessert in the form of a bread. And I don’t know about you but I freaking LOVE bread! The tangy orange flavor from fragrant oils in the orange peel is a perfect match for bitter dark chocolate. The two flavors blend together in sweet harmony producing a dense bread that practically melts in your mouth. This bread is moist, yet crumbly, with the perfect amount of sweetness. You HAVE to try it.
Oh!! More exciting info about this recipe… it only involves TEN ingredients, eight of which you totally already have in your pantry. Plus the quick bread only takes 10-15 minutes of prep (depending on how fast your zest, chop, and whisk) and then you let it bake into sweet delicious! It’s SO EASY and perfect for an after dinner sweet or Sunday brunch! Your friends and family will love the idea of a chocolate orange not around Christmas 🙂
- 1 1/2 cups + 2 tablespoons all purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- zest from one large orange
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup almond milk (any milk will do)
- 3.5 oz dark chocolate, chopped (I used 85% cacoa; dark chocolate chips work too)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Coat a loaf pan generously with cooking spray (or coconut oil).
- In a large bowl, whisk together 1 1/2 cups flour, ground ginger, and baking powder.
- Add sugar and orange zest to a medium sized bowl. Using your fingers, massage the zest into the sugar (this will release all the fragrant oils from the orange peel into the sugar and make your bread magical). Next, whisk in the lightly beaten eggs, coconut oil, vanilla extract, and almond milk until well combined.
- Pour wet ingredients into bowl with dry ingredients and stir (using a rubber spatula) until wet and dry ingredients are completely incorporated. Finally, stir in dark chocolate chunks along with remaining two tablespoons of flour.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 45-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the corner of the bread comes out clean. Allow bread to cool completely before removing from pan.
- Slice and enjoy weirdos!
Every bite of this bread makes my taste buds tingle with joy! The orange is seriously so refreshing and dark chocolate is perfect per usual. If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment or tag a photo #appetitesanonymous on instagram!! I’d love to see your quick bread in action. Peace, friends!