This is one of my favorite go to lazy recipes, if you can even call it a recipe…
If you’ve ever searched around my blog, then you’ve surely noticed an abundance of sweet potato recipes… clearly I’m obsessed. It’s definitely one of the most used tags/ingredients on my site currently. I just always have them on hand and LOVE the texture and taste! So creamy, smooth, and sweet! Plus they are SO EASY to cook up and mash into other recipes in fun unique ways. Like just the other week, I took this wild rice burger recipe and substituted the mushrooms and mayo with sweet potatoes. Verdict: AMAZING. Planning on perfecting and photographing that recipe ASAP. Even Tom loved those burgers and they didn’t even have meat!! Whaa?! I know.
These sweet potato smash bowls with veggies and eggs are so delicious and satisfying, especially for a QUICK vegetarian meal that involves less than ten ingredients! Let’s discuss the layers of this bowl:
Layer one: peeled and boiled sweet potatoes mashed using a fork to create a slightly sweet but hearty base (this is where the recipe name sweet potato smash bowl comes from lol).
Layer two: artichoke hearts and red bell peppers sautéed to perfection giving a tangy, sweet, and juicy second layer.
Layer three: sunny side up, fried, or poached eggs with a runny yolks to coat the veggies!
Layer four (optional): sriracha! I find that the egg yolk is enough “sauce” for me but sometimes I drizzle a little sriracha on top for an extra kick 🙂
Sound good to you? Super lazy and extra delicious meal, not to mention filling! This week I even made up the sweet potato, artichoke heart, and red pepper mix for lunch. Yes please!
- 2 small to medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-2 inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- healthy dash of sea salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 large red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and diced
- 1 can (14 oz) quartered artichoke hearts in water, drained
- 2 large eggs, cooked to your liking with a runny yolk (I recommend sunny side up, fried over easy or poached)
- Fill a medium sauce pan two-thirds full with water then bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, add peeled sweet potato chucks then reduce heat to medium and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until you can easily pierce the sweet potatoes with a butter knife. Drain and keep warm.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add artichoke hearts, red bell pepper, a healthy dash of sea salt and pepper, and paprika then stir to coat veggies. Sauté for 5-7 minutes (veggies should be soft and charred slightly).
- Cook your eggs!
- Assemble: Divide sweet potato chunks between two low bowls, then smash using a fork (see photos). Top with sautéed artichoke hearts and red bell peppers, cooked yolky egg, and a drizzle of sriracha!
- Eat: break the egg yolk with a fork, stir to coat veggies in yolk + sriracha then devour.
Specialty diets: Dairy free, Gluten free, Vegetarian
I know some people despise canned or jarred artichoke hearts. Obviously, fresh ones are better but I still love the canned and jarred ones plus they are super convenient for quick meals!
Random: Tom was CONVINCED I was feeding him butternut squash with this meal… I was like: “hmm no hun and I have pictures to prove it” (perks of always photographing your food).Though, substituting the sweet potato for butternut squash sounds like a wonderful variation to this recipe!