The first time I read about crispy smashed potatoes, I was SO EXCITED. What a freaking awesome idea!
A new fun variation of potatoes? I WAS SO IN.
But to be honest guys, I’ve had a really hard time writing this post… like it was supposed to go up Wednesday and now I sit here at 1130pm on Wednesday night trying to get it ready for Thursday and the words just aren’t coming. I freaking love these smashed potatoes but I think that’s the issue.
They are just potatoes. Just potatoes cooked in such a fun way that yields both mashed and crispy textures which are PERFECT together. Ok so they aren’t JUST POTATOES, they are bomb ass crispy smashed potatoes. Hey, I ended up finding something to write. Go me!
So we start with buttery yellow potatoes (hello favorite potato!!) then we boil them until the insides are cooked and soft. Next comes the fun part…. WE SMASH THEM, using whatever flat bottom dish/tool you’d like. Then we roast them to crispy golden perfection. And when I say perfection, I seriously mean it. The texture of these bad boys is undeniably amazing. Soft buttery insides, cripsy golden outsides.
I won’t stop talking about it.
Ok actually… I will. Because I need to talk about the second part of this recipe: AVOCADO CHIMICHURRI. Have y’all ever had traditional chimichurri?! It’s an uncooked sauce usually served over grilled meat. Typical ingredients include: parsley, garlic, oregano, olive oil, and red wine vinegar. Occasionally, chimichuuri recipes involve jalapeño, shallots, and/or red pepper flakes… but avocado?! Nah.
SO (obviously), I decided to throw some in my chimichurri recipe because when has avocado ever made something worse? Rewind…. I actually do have an example of a time that avocado made something taste worse that might involve my friend Roger and some avocado mashed potatoes from college but we won’t go into more details on that (PSA: don’t try avocado mashed potatoes, they don’t taste as good as they sound… scratch that… they don’t even sound good, just don’t do it).
Recipe time? For crispy smashed potatoes with avocado chimichurri that is… not avocado mashed potatoes.
Just to be extra clear.
Specialty diets: Dairy free, egg free, gluten free, vegan, vegetarian
- 2 pounds baby yellow potatoes
- olive oil for drizzling
- sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 avocado, seeded and flesh scooped out
- 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley (save a few pieces for garnish)
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 shallot, peeled plus top and root cut off
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes + extra for garnish
- 4-5 tablespoons olive oil
- 3-4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- healthy pinch of sea salt and pepper
- Add potatoes to a large pot. Fill the pot with water until the potatoes are just covered. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-high heat to maintain a low boil. Cook uncovered for 15-20 minutes (or until tender and easily pierce-able with a butter knife).
- In the meantime, prepare the avocado chimichurri: Add all ingredients to a food processor (start with 4 tablespoons olive oil and 3 tablespoons of lemon juice) then pulse until a paste is formed. Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more olive oil to thin the mixture, lemon juice for acidity, salt for flavor, or red pepper flakes for heat. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 450F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper then arrange cooked potatoes on the baking sheet and smash down with the bottom of a cup or mason jar.
- Drizzle the potatoes with olive oil then season with a healthy pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Bake for 25-28 minutes or until golden brown and CRISPY.
- To serve, spoon the avocado chimichurri over the potatoes then garnish with a few sprinkles of minced parsley and red pepper flakes.
Your mom would totally approve of these crispy smashed potatoes for Mother’s Day. Just a thought 🙂
OH! TOTALLY OFF TOPIC: I bought this jumpsuit yesterday online at LOFT . Omg I’m OBSESSED and so excited for it to arrive! ISN’T IT ADORABLE? Chambray… so comfy. Also, I’m 99% sure I need this fringe sweater in my life. Your mom probably does too.
p.s. take 30-40% off almost everyday with the code LOVEMOM.
you. are. welcome.
ONE LAST THING: I bought these adorable bow sneakers a couple weeks ago from Zara and have pretty much worn them like everyday since. I’m debating buying another pair just so I won’t ever be without them. I have issues…