Thai coconut curry carrot soup = second soup recipe of soup season!! I just loooove soup season! Don’t you?!
So like I said before, this thai coconut curry carrot soup is my second soup recipe of the season and it’s a GREAT one (first soup recipe here)! I actually wrote and tested this recipe last fall but was slacking in the blog department so you get it this year instead. Freshly cooked and photographed 🙂
I love carrots… like A LOT. Tom on the other hand, isn’t the biggest fan… though, I’ve found that if you take sautéed/roasted carrots then puree them up with a bunch of other awesome flavors (aka curry and coconut) into a fabulous soup, then carrot haters will get on board. Promise.
What’s all in this thai coconut curry carrot soup?! I’ll tell you, duh.
Sautéed onions and garlic
Lots of carrots
Freshly grated ginger
Red curry paste (my fave!!)
All the spices like cumin, coriander, tumeric, cayenne, salt, and pepper
Basically, you sauté everything then let it simmer then blend it all up and BOOM… thai coconut curry carrot soup. It’s that easy!
Also, I’ve decided that my blog should really be called The Coconut Chronicles since like so many of the recipes I make involve coconut milk… whoops! It’s just my dairy-free milk of choice. But you guys know, as always, you can sub in normal milk or your fave dairy-free milk!
Recipe time per usual:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups chopped carrots
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 3 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- healthy pinch sea salt and pepper
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 (14-15oz) can light coconut milk
- juice from one lime
- extra coconut milk or yogurt + minced cilantro, garnish
- Heat olive oil in large pot (or dutch oven) over medium heat. Add onions and garlic then sauté for 3-5 minutes or until onions are translucent and garlic is fragrant, stirring often so garlic doesn’t burn. Next, add in the carrots through the healthy pinch of sea salt and pepper then cook about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in vegetable stock and coconut milk, bring mixture to a simmer, then cook for another 20 minutes or until carrots are soft. Either using an immersion blender stick or transferring the mixture to a high-speed blender, puree the mixture until completely smooth. If you used a blender, transfer the mixture back to the pot. Stir in lime juice then taste and season more if needed.
- Serve: Ladle soup into bowls, garnish with a drizzle of extra coconut milk or yogurt plus minced cilantro then ENJOY.
This little blog of mine is a happy place. It’s my weird little place on the internet where I like to share delicious food, silly stories, and happy thoughts but right now it’s kind of hard to stay positive with everything going in the world recently… deadly mass shootings, wildfires, hurricanes, earthquakes, etc. My heart breaks for everyone affected by these horrible events. Definitely holding my little family extra close these days. I’m incredibly grateful for all that I have.