- my adorable dog
- FOOD FOOD FOOD AND MORE FOOD
Enough reasons? I think so.
Y’ALL!!!!!! This slow cooker tex-mex chicken quinoa soup is SO FREAKING GOOD. I know I say that about like every recipe I make… I mean I wouldn’t post them if they weren’t the bomb BUT THIS ONE IS… AMAZING. It’s also the perfect weeknight dinner recipe. Throw everything in the slow cooker in the morning then let it cook all day and enjoy a fabulous dinner with almost zero effort. Awesome right?! Totes.
A few words that describe this awesome recipe:
Warm and comforting
Hearty yet refreshing
Chicken-y and quinoa-y and tex-mex-y
GOOD FOR THE SOUL and for dinner….
So this slow cooker tex-mex chicken quinoa soup consists of… chicken breast, chicken stock, milk, quinoa, rotel diced tomatoes, chopped green chiles, taco seasoning*, and corn! Plus some bomb toppings like sliced green onions, shredded cheese, minced cilantro, and tortilla chip crumbs. OH you could also add sliced avocado. I’m definitely going to do that next time I make this for dinner!
*I used a store bought taco seasoning packet because this recipe is supposed to be EASY but you could totally make your own!!
Recipe time 🙂
slow cooker tex-mex chicken quinoa soup
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup coconut milk (any milk will do)
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 (10 oz) can rotel diced tomatoes (do not drain!!)
- 1 (4 oz) can chopped green chiles
- 1 (1 oz) packet taco seasoning mix
- healthy pinch sea salt and pepper
- 3 cups frozen corn
- 1-2 cups water
- toppings: sliced green onions, shredded cheddar cheese, minced cilantro, tortilla chip crumbs, avocado slices
- Add chicken breasts (I used frozen but you could use defrosted), chicken stock, milk, quinoa, rotel tomatoes, green chiles, taco seasoning, and a healthy pinch of sea salt and pepper to your slow cooker. Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours (could also cook on high 3 to 4 hours).
- About 30 minutes before you’re ready to eat, remove lid and shred chicken inside slow cooker using two forks (could also remove the chicken, shred it using my mixer hack then place it back in the slow cooker). Next, stir in your frozen corn and 1-2 cups of water (depending on how liquid-y you want your soup), then place the lid back on the slow cooker and cook for an additional 30 minutes on high.
- Remove lid, ladle into bowls, then garnish with sliced green onions, shredded cheddar cheese, minced cilantro, and/or tortilla chip crumbs!
Recipe serves 4-6 adults really 🙂
p.s. you should totally make this pumpkin french toast with brown sugar oat crumble for Sunday brunch tomorrow… just sayin’