I’ve mentioned this before but I’ll repeat: I’m REALLY really bad at eating breakfast… why? Many reasons but the main one is that I am NOT a morning person. There I’ve said it.
I’ve always wanted to be one of those people who jumps out of bed at 5am all ready to GET THE DAY STARTED WOO! But honestly, I thrive at night. It’s when I get the most inspired and motivated. I mean don’t get me wrong… I’m always a highly motivated person (I barely stop moving throughout the day ha) but there’s something about burning that midnight oil that speaks to my soul. Any who, this is obviously not the greatest habit to have when working a typical 9-5 job…
Typical mornings go like this:
- The night before… set five million alarms starting at about 6am because I always think: “this is going to be the day I wake up early!!!” (note: it never is – unless I absolutely HAVE TO GET somewhere early due to meetings, appointments, etc. I don’t like being late…)
- Snooze all alarms until 8am
- Jump out of bed like a crazy person
- Let Montana outside then feed her
- Brush teeth then chug 16oz of water
- Get ready in about 15 minutes
- Walk the dog REALLY quickly
- Make coffee and run out the door by 835am to get to work by 9am – most likely spilling coffee all over myself in the process
Sometimes I actually get up at 730am, giving myself more time to get ready and take the dog on a longer walk BUT as you see… my mornings are nuts. Clearly zero time for breakfast…
ENTER FREEZER BREAKFAST BURRITOS.
So what’s inside these marvelous freezer breakfast burritos?! I’ll tell you…
roasted yellow potatoes and mini sweet peppers
diced tomatoes and green chiles
YUM! Right?! You could also totally add some protein liked breakfast sausage or bacon to these freezer breakfast burritos but I kept ours meat free for a lighter breakfast option.
So all you do is… divide the ingredients between burrito tortillas, roll them up, sear the edge on a hot skillet so they stay together, wrap in plastic wrap, label, then freeze! THEN in the morning, all you have to do is unwrap a burrito then pop it in the microwave for 1-2 minutes! BOOM BREAKFAST… in the form of delicious freezer breakfast burritos. You’re welcome.
freezer breakfast burritos
- 1 lb small yellow potatoes, diced
- 2 cups cored and sliced sweet mini peppers (or 1 large bell peppers cored and diced)
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- sea salt and pepper
- 12 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 (15oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (10oz) can rotel diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I used Mexican blend)
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 12 burrito-sized flour tortillas
- optional stuffing ingredients: avocado slices, ground breakfast sausage or bacon!
- serving options: sour cream or salsa
- Roast your potatoes and peppers: Preheat oven to 400F. Add diced potatoes, sliced peppers, 1 tablespoon olive oil, ground cumin, and a healthy pinch of sea salt and black pepper to a large bowl. Toss to coat then spread mixture out on a large baking sheet (with sides). Roast in the oven for about 30-40 minutes or until potatoes are soft, tossing half way through. Bump up heat to broil then broil potatoes and peppers for about 5 minutes (you should start to see char marks in a few areas). Remove from heat then transfer mixture back to a bowl until ready to assemble burritos.
- Make your scrambled eggs while potatoes and peppers are roasting: In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and a healthy pinch of sea salt and black pepper until smooth (I find that blending this mixture up with an immersion blender yields super fluffy eggs). Heat the remaining teaspoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the egg mixture and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally/scraping down the sides with a rubber spatula, until they are scrambled and cooked through to your liking. Transfer to a separate bowl and set aside.
- Prep black beans, tomatoes and green chiles, cheese, and cilantro: Place each of these four ingredients in their own separate bowls to make burrito assembly easier.
- Assemble burritos: Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Lay a burrito tortilla flat on the counter or cutting board, add a large spoonful of scrambled eggs in the center of the tortilla (roughly 1/3 cup), followed by a spoonful of the potato/pepper mixture on top of the eggs, followed by a spoonful of black beans, then a spoonful of diced tomatoes and green chiles, then a tablespoon or two of shredded cheese, and finally, a sprinkle of cilantro leaves. Next, fold the two opposite sides of the tortilla in so that they meet and overlap, then fold in the two remaining open ends so that the entire burrito is sealed/closed. Place the rolled burrito seal side down in the hot skillet for about 1 minute to seal the edge. Finally, wrap the burrito tightly in plastic wrap, label it, then throw it in the freezer! Continue with remaining ingredients until all burritos are made!
- Cook the burritos: Remove burrito from freezer, remove plastic wrap, place burrito on a microwavesafe plate, then microwave for 1-2 minutes, or until warmed through. Serve plain or with salsa or sour cream, for dipping.
Burritos should last for up to 3 months in the freezer.
p.s. more breakfast options here!