Every time I make a new cupcake recipe, I swear it’s my best one yet…
And nothing has changed soooo this is my BEST CUPCAKE RECIPE TO DATE. Swears.
These vanilla bourbon caramel cupcakes are so moist, and butter-y, and caramel-y, and sweet, and delicious. They are brown sugar bourbon cupcakes topped with caramel vanilla frosting! Such fun and flavorful combination and that is undeniably tasty!
I made these for Thanksgiving at Tom’s parent’s house and they were a hit! Honestly, I could have eaten them all myself. SO GOOD. I ended up with extra frosting when I made these and it took everything in me to not just eat it all from the bowl with the spoon.
So like I said, we start with a standard brown sugar vanilla cupcake that’s infused with bourbon and caramel (which makes it EXTRA moist) then top it off with some equally amazing caramel vanilla frosting… OMG drool.
I think these would make for a fabulous Christmas cupcake. Maybe sprinkle some red and green or gold sparkle sprinkles on top?! DO IT. SO FESTIVE. Actually, I might do that for my family’s Christmas party this Saturday (great idea Adrienne!!).
vanilla bourbon caramel cupcakes
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temp
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large egg whites, at room temp
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup milk (I used coconut milk, any milk should do)
- 1/3 cup bourbon whiskey
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temp
- 5-6 tablespoons caramel sauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- healthy pinch of fine sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Prepare a 12-cup cupcake tin with liners.
- In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixed fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugars until fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Add in the sour cream and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. Add in the egg whites the mix until well combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to be sure all ingredients are well incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Add the dry ingredients to the batter from step two and mix until well combined. Add in the milk and bourbon then mix until well combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to be sure all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Fill the cupcake liners about 1/2 to 3/4s full of the batter. Bake for 14-16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove cupcakes from oven and allow to cool for 2-3 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
- Make the frosting while the cupcakes are cooling: Add butter to a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixed fitted with the paddle attachment then cream/whisk until smooth, about 2-3 minutes. Add 3-4 tablespoons of caramel sauce and the vanilla extract mix until well combined. Add in the powdered sugar and mix until smooth and well combined. Add additional caramel sauce as needed to get desired consistency.
- Frost your cupcakes using either a piping bag or another frosting tool (I used a piping bag fitted with Wilton's 1M piping tip). Drizzle with additional caramel sauce as desired.
p.s. more cupcake recipes here.