I love Valentine’s Day.
Naturally, Tom thinks it’s the stupidest day ever 🙂
Though, I think the real reason that I love vday so much is because my birthday is exactly one week after it so Valentines’s Day is basically the beginning of birthday week for me woooo!!! I also love any excuse to tell or show people that you care about them! One of my favorite ways to show love is through… you guessed it… FOOD. Especially baked goods! I think my friends, family, and neighbors can agree 🙂
Rice krispies treats seemed like the perfect thing to spice up for Valentine’s Day with HEART SPRINKLES OMG. These sprinkles are so fun!! And the super cool thing is that you can just swap out the heart sprinkles for any other holiday or themed sprinkles to make these delicious brown butter white chocolate rice krispies treats fit for any occasion.
Sooo let’s talk about how extra these rice krispies treats are though… extra due to BROWN BUTTER AND WHITE CHOCOLATE. I mean come on… these babies are killer. So butter-y, nutty, creamy, white chocolate-y, crispy, and mouthwatering. I ate 3 rice krispies treats in a matter of minutes. Whoops.. so much for those New Years Resolution.
These vday brown butter white chocolate rice krispies treats are the perfect sweet snack to…
1) make and enjoy all by yourself
2) make for your loved ones
3) make for your kids to enjoy or to bring to school (yeah? idk… I don’t have kids)
4) bring and share the love with your coworkers?!
Basically…. make these ASAP and give them to everyone you like, love, or just associate with. Errrbody needs some brown butter white chocolate rice krispies treats in their life these days 🙂
vday brown butter white chocolate rice krispies treats
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
- 10 oz marshmallows
- several healthy pinches of sea salt
- 6 oz white chocolate chips
- 6 cups rice krispies cereal
- 3-4 oz heart sprinkles*
- a few dashes red sugar sprinkles*
- Line a rectangular baking dish (mine was 8x11 but a 8x8 or 9x9 pan will work too, you'll just have different sized treats) with wax paper.
- Brown butter (tutorial link in notes section below) in a large sauce pan over medium heat, stirring frequently, until a nutty flavor develops, and golden bits form on the bottom of the pan (butter will first melt, then foam, then turn clear-ish golden, then start to brown and smell super nutty).
- Reduce heat to low then stir in marshmallows, continuing to stir until marshmallows are smooth and fully incorporated with the brown butter. Remove mixture from heat. Stir in sea salt, white chocolate chips, rice krispy cereal, and heart sprinkles then mix using your hands or rubber spatula until well combined and chocolate is melted.
- Spread mixture into prepared pan using your fingers or rubber spatula, making sure to fill in the corners all the way. Sprinkle a few dashes of red sugar sprinkles on top. Let cool then cut into rectangles, squares, or whatever shape your heart desires!
*I'm using vday specific sprinkles because Valentine's Day is next week BUT if you're not making these for vday then use whatever sprinkles you want! Just don't skip them. **Tutorial on how to brown butter HERE.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment or tag a photo #appetitesanonymous on instagram!! I’d love to see your brown butter white chocolate rice krispies treats in action. Peace out, friends!
p.s. do not feel bad for me that my husband isn’t a fan of Valentine’s Day because… a) he usually humors me with something because he knows that I love the holiday and b) he much prefers to give little thoughtful gifts of love and appreciation on random days throughout that year, which is totes adorbs.